- Structural design is the methodical investigation of the stability, strength and rigidity of structures.
- The basic objective in structural analysis and design is to produce a structure capable of resisting all applied loads without failure during its intended life.
- The primary purpose of a structure is to transmit or support loads. If the structure is improperly designed or fabricated, or if the actual applied loads exceed the design specifications, the device will probably fail to perform its intended function, with possible serious consequences. A well engineered structure greatly minimizes the possibility of costly failures.
Objectives of Structural design
- Produce a structure which is capable to resist all applied loads without failure during its service life
Obtain the economical dimensions of structural members
- Investigate the strength, stability and rigidity of structures
- Ensure structural safety